Tuesday 6 October 2009

Birthday Baking

It was my boyfriends 21st birthday last week so I made him a cake. I was the first time id used the rollout icing so it was all a bit of an experiment.
Ben is basketball crazy so I decided to make an actual basketball cake. i had originally planned to buy one of those round cake moulds so the cake was 3D but i left it a bit late to order one online and the only mould I saw in the shops was so expensive I couldnt justify buying it!

The first cake went badly, it didnt rise properly because I was being too lazy and cutting corners. So I decided to decorate that and make a new one for Ben's Birthday.
Photobucket
you can see where i nibbled the corner to taste it haha.

The 2nd cake came out perfect but I forgot to take a photo of it so this is the cake after it had been iced, the edges were slightly creased, I'm going to have to practise at that.
Photobucket

I then painted the cake with orange food colouring a la basketball and added the black lines. I probably should have kneaded the colouring into the icing but because the icing was ready rolled out I was reluctant to screw it into a ball and roll it out again.Photobucket

Here is the finished cake complete with candles at Ben's party.
Photobucket


The cake was actually pretty good, even if I do say so myself, who knows maybe next time I will be more organised and do a better job!
byeeee x

1 comment:

  1. Oh it looks rather yummy! Great job - you can't beat a home made cake!

    ReplyDelete