Saturday 6 February 2010

Studio Ghibli

If you have been reading my blog for a while you might know I am trying to collect all the Disney Classics films on DVD. I LOVE Disney, I think its a mix of nostalgia and obviously the fact that all the films are great.

However I havent ever mentioned that I'm a big fan of the Studio Ghibli films, you will have heard of Spirited Away and most probably seen it.

I did 3 shifts at work last week so I have a bit of money, so I bought some more Ghibli films:

The Cat Returns
Nausicaa
Laputa Castle in the Sky
The great thing about my university is that they do film and animation courses so they have most Disney and Ghibli Dvds in there, so I can borrow them, watch them and then decide if I like them enough to buy :)

I already own Howls moving Castle (which insidently is based on the book written by Diana Wynne Jones)which I would really recommend, and Princess Mononoke.
Photobucket
I love the detail in the scenery of the Ghibli films, they really do transport you to a different place, most places are modelled on earth but a kind of utopian or sci-fi earth. If youve seen any of the films you will know what I mean (hopefully!) I think the easiest way to describe the films would be magical with a hint of japanese madness.

A funny heartwarming film would be My Neighbour Totoro, look out for the cat bus, its awesome!
Photobucket

I think Totoro is next on my list, after I buy Snow White.

Ponyo is the latest film by Studio Ghibli and has already been released in Japan and the USA. I can't wait for it to be released here later this year, it will be my first Ghibli cinema experience :D

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment